CieSign is the App developed by the State Printing Works and Mint and distributed free of charge on Google Play and Apple Store. The app will allow citizens to digitally sign their documents with the Electronic Identity Card (CIE).
The only requirement is to possess a smartphone equipped with NFC technology and the CIE. It is possible to digitally sign using biometric identification (facial recognition or fingerprint).
The advanced electronic signature with CieSign is:
- secure: the identity of the owner of the CIE is guaranteed by the Italian State, the CIE implements the most advanced security and anti-counterfeiting standards. The signature requires that the citizen possesses the card and knows the PIN (or is biometrically identified on the device).
- easy to use: it is based on a free app for Android and iOS, a guided procedure accompanies the user during the operations
The app supports the following types of signatures
- signature without graphic signature (PAdES),
- signature with graphic signature (PAdES),
- p7m signature (CAdES);
The signed document can be shared in different formats: email, messaging app, cloud.
Security and simplicity of use are the key elements of the CIE. A desktop version (Windows, macOS and Linux) enhances the existing software, with an open source code: https://github.com/italia/cie-middleware
The EU Regulation No. 910/2014 – eIDAS (Electronic IDentification Authentication and Signature) provides for three types of electronic signatures, including the Advanced Electronic Signature (FEA) and sets the non discrimination principle for electronic documents compared to paper documents.
In particular, article 26 establishes the requirements that an FEA must meet, which are fully satisfied by the CIE:
- it is univocally associated with the signer;
- it is capable of identifying the signatory
- it is created by electronic signature data that the signatory can, with a high level of security, use under his exclusive control;
- it is linked to the subscribed data to allow the identification of any future modification.